Core to our business is the active role we play in building a better community. We actively support and encourage a healthy work-life balance. We resonate with the vision of B Corporations (Benefit Corporations) and our simple yet ambitious goal which is to create a new sector of the economy which uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems for the betterment of humanity. We believe corporations will have greater economic opportunities when they embrace a philosophy that says "we can do well at being good." Communities will then move closer to achieving a positive environmental footprint, more people will be employed in healthy and happy careers, and we will have contributed to thriving local economies throughout the region.
We hope North Carolina will soon join other states to recognize Benefit Corporations. BLab anticipates full recognition within two years, and in response we are following the process as outlined by BLab by integrating B-corporation standards and policies into the DNA of our company. Currently, we are in the process of developing the internal policies necessary to be in place before we request an Impact Assessment by BLab. Upon a successful completion of their Impact Assement, we will execute their Declaration of Interdepence that will seamlessly transition us to a B-corporation formation upon legal designation through legislation at the state level. Here are some of the key values we are creating policy around:
- Treating the Earth as the precious resource it is - proactive and sustainable environmental stewardship/conservation
- Responding and promoting human rights issues regardless of age, language, color, class, disability, gender or sexual orientation
- Equal pay and benefits regardless of gender, marital or familial status
- Adoption of a Living Wage policy and employee advocacy through a stakeholder committee. In order to do this effectively, we have removed the Asheville local Living Wage Certification from our bottle until criteria of the certifiying organization requires businesses to pay cash only compensation as a condition of certification. Like many certified employers in Asheville, our certifying compensation model included trade. While trade is important, it could not be used to pay for basics of life (electric, food, water etc) in our current society. We are creating an internal living wage schedule that will allow us to fully adopt a "living wage" model that better reflects our ideals.
- Progressive work-life family benefits that support parents such as: (1) access to holistic health opportunities such as Nia, (2) Access to on-site child enrichment space - the Avonlea Learning Community Now Open (3) Whole-foods Nourishing Traditions and (4) Affirming and nurturing inclusive family support networks of our employees. We are a "tribe" - each member is just as important and unique as the next.