Core to our business is the active role we play in building a triple bottom line and community centered business model. We actively support and encourage a healthy work-life balance. We resonate with the vision of B Corporations (Benefit Corporations). Our simple yet ambitious goal is to be a part of creating a new sector of the economy which uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems for the betterment of humanity. We believe when corporations embrace the philosophy that we can "do well at being good" they will see that sustainable commerce is more viable than extractive economics.
We hope North Carolina will soon join other states to recognize Benefit Corporations. BLab anticipates full recognition within two years, and in response we are integrating B-corporation standards and policies into the DNA of our company. It’s a comprehensive process and we are still developing the internal policies necessary to be in place before we request an Impact Assessment by BLab. This is a long and detail specific journey for manufacturers, step by step and we would like you to be a part of the journey. Upon successful completion of their Impact Assessment, we will execute a Declaration of Interdependence which will seamlessly transition us to a B-corporation when recognized by the State of North Carolina.
Here are some of the key values we are creating policy around:
- Creating a path to worker ownership for full time employees. We are currently 15.41% employee-held.
- Developed a bonus-sharing model for all employees and owners - even part-time.
- Implementation of living wage policies for part-time workers into our 2016 sales projection.
- Treating the Earth as the precious resource it is - proactive and sustainable environmental stewardship/conservation policies that are integrated
- Equal hiring, pay and benefits regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity or marital status.